Sunday, November 20, 2011

EDLD 5363 Week 1 Personal Digital Story Reflection

There are a couple of issues that I ran into right from the beginning. I decided to create a personal digital story in form of a timeline biography for a popular man that I admire by the name of Steve Jobs. I posted my script and interview questions on a Google Doc for review. The peer interview questions gave me direction and certainty of how I would like to proceed with the digital photo story. I decided to use iMovie since I only have a Macbook and have used iMovie before for some basic video editing. I had never used it before for a photo story though. I was impressed with the simplicity and versatility options on the new iMovie software. I was able to obtain various high quality images from Google images that supplemented the biography. The first issue I ran into was the length of the video. The rubric stated that it must be short and sweet however my video was initially over 7 minutes in length. I reduced it to about 5 and a half minutes and decided to leave it at that. I felt that if I reduced video length, I would ruin the production value and the message would be incomplete. I considered reducing the script but again the message would have been affected. Another issue I ran across was the quality of the voice over recording. I initially used the built-in microphone and noticed that there was too much echo and it sounded horrible. Luckily, I remembered that my CTE department had ordered a pair of Behringer podcast studios. This was exactly what my video needed. The sound quality was superb and I am excited to use it again in the future. Last, I contemplated whether or not to add music to the video. In the end, I decided to use one of Steve Jobs favorite songs in the video. The song certainly increased the value and significance. If you ever have issues with sound recording, I recommend purchasing a Podcaststudio by Behringer. The cost is only $99 and you can find it at music stores like Guitar Center. See pic below.

No comments:

Post a Comment